Tuesday, August 25, 2009

God’s Provision, and the Family Talk

When I got home from the retreat, Darren told me that during the weekend while I was gone, he had rented or sold four of our vacant properties (and one other a couple of days before I left), one of them with a huge down payment! That has never happened before – that many in such a short time. We had had so many vacancies, and as I said, finances overall have been a major concern for me about pursuing adoption. I knew this was God saying, “See – I can do anything! I am not limited by any circumstances, and I will provide for your every need, every step of the way.”


All four of our kids happened to be home that weekend, so I wanted to go ahead share with them what God had been speaking to me, and for Darren and me to tell them about the possibility of us adopting another child. So we sat them all down, and I shared all of this with them. They were all excited about the possibility, and we talked over what it might be like bringing new members into our family, especially with Trevor and Alex, since they are the main ones still living here at home. Alex said he kind of wanted to still be the youngest kid. I said I didn’t know how old the boy we adopted would be, but he might be younger. I told him, though, that one of the reasons I felt like we should adopt an older boy was that he and Trevor could be brothers he could look up to and learn from, just like they look up to Justin and learn from him.


We all prayed together, which was awesome, and afterwards, Alex said, “I think we should adopt more than one.” Trevor said he did too. I asked why, and they didn’t really have a reason; just thought we should. I said that was interesting, because the ladies I had talked to over the weekend said the same thing. They said that generally it’s recommended, when you are adopting cross-racially, to adopt more than one at a time, so that the new child doesn’t feel like the only different one in the family.


Previously, I had thought one was all I could manage. But when they said this, it just felt right to me. So we agreed, we would look for two boys. I don’t know what this means for Kato Fred, since as far as I know he has no siblings; but I know God knows where our new children are, right now (!!).

No comments:

Post a Comment